Apply for this job online at CommUnity Care Health Centers website
Community Health Worker
Req No.: 2019-3704
Company: CommUnityCare Health Centers
Name: Southeast Health and Wellness Center
Address: 2901 Montopolis Drive, City, Austin
Type: Regular Full-Time
Shift Days: Some Evening and Weekends
Shift Hours: Days
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Graduation from a high school or equivalent
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: One (1) year of experience working within a community health setting in a health care role or a community based human service agency as a Community Health Worker (CHW), health educator, community outreach worker, or community organizer.
Valid Texas Driver’s License with no outstanding driving violations; access to personal vehicle.
Proof of 30/60/25 minimal automobile liability insurance coverage ($30,000 for each injured person, up to $60,000 per accident $25,000for property damage per accident) required.
PREFERRED CERTIFICATIONS/LICENSURE: Certified Community Health Worker (CHW) or completion of an approved 160-hour competency based Community Health Worker training program certified by DSHS
The Community Health Worker is responsible for providing culturally appropriate health education and information in order to assist members of the community in receiving the care they need.
• Collaborate with all members of the care team in providing patient-centered care.
• Provide cultural mediation between community members and CommUnityCare.
• Empower patients and/or their families to be an engaged and active participant in their care management.
• Help patients and families set personal goals and attend appointments
• Coach patients in effective management of their health conditions and self-care.
• Participates in the identification of patient needs for internal and external referrals, including social service agencies, to resources to ensure that the patient receives needed services.
• Serve as liaison between the patient and healthcare systems, assisting as needed.
• Interface with providers and clinic team to ensure that the patient follows with the provider’s treatment plan.
• May meet patients at medical or social service appointments as a patient advocate and to bridge the gap between systems.
• Follow-up with patients via phone calls, home visits and visits to other settings where patients can be found as per Program guidelines.
• Maintains ongoing communication with community partners and attends various community events to promote education and awareness of safety net programs as assigned by Supervisor.
• Advocate for individual and community health needs and perform outreach activities within the community as assigned by Supervisor.
• Maintain privacy and confidentiality of patient’s medical records and visits.
• Ensure all tasks provided and associated with patient care, patient administrative processes and related duties comply with all regulatory and accreditation standards including The Joint Commission and CommUnityCare Standard Operating Procedures and CommUnityCare Policies and Procedures.
• Develop and maintain favorable internal relationships, partnerships with co-workers, including clinical managers, clinical support staff, providers and business office staff.
• Interact respectfully and collaboratively with patients and their families, striving to develop favorable relationships with families.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• High level of skill at building relationships and providing excellent customer service.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• High level of problem solving skill to better serve patients and staff.
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
• Excellent skills in public speaking.
• Ability to communicate in various settings, including but not limited to group presentations and small-scale meetings.
• Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred.
• Ability to work with diverse groups of people.
• Demonstrated familiarity with tools, technology, and systems typically found within most health care environments, (i.e. EHR, personal computer skills, including Microsoft Office)